01252 322020  Opening times Monday to Saturday 9.15am to 5.00pm
deliveryFREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS OVER £30.00

Our 3rd Floor Museum

Not everyone knows that one of Aldershot’s longest-running businesses has on public display, their very own museum. Set above the Edgar Jerome store on the 3rd floor, you can glimpse into bygone eras with a collection of old family photographs, account books, fashions worn over the decade and militaria.

Much of the collection at the Wellington Street museum, not only reflects  the history of Aldershot but also the Military. Memorabilia on display includes: a Second World War helmet, medals and badges worn by the town’s soldiers, photographs and newspaper cuttings and historical maps from key dates of the founding of Aldershot as a military camp to the present day. A gas mask  donated by an elderly resident and a beautiful edition of the Daily Mail, marking the silver jubilee of King George V in 1935, printed on silver paper also take pride of place. Coins from the reigns of monarchs including Queen Victoria and King Edward VII plus medicine bottles discovered in the building’s scullery, which dates back to 1862, are also on display.

The museum was begun with the accumulation of sentimental and personal items of Eunice Jerome, the late grandmother of current owners John and Paul Jerome. Luckily their grandmother never threw anything away!

When members of the Aldershot Historical and Archaeological Society saw the 3rd floor room, they suggested Edgar Jerome turn it into a museum. So interesting are the artefacts that Baroness Margaret Thatcher paid the museum a visit a few years ago.

The history of the business itself can be traced back to 1923 when Frederick Edgar Jerome leased the ground floor shop. He managed to buy the entire building three years later and promptly ordered three prostitutes to vacate the top floor of the premises where they had entertained soldiers. Several members of the Jerome family have worked in the gentlemen’s outfitters during its long history. When cousins John and Paul Jerome  started working there 40 years ago, their fathers Edgar and Fred were the managers until their retirement in the 1990's. 

Throughout the decades the shop has witnessed great changes in the town, but the shop, however, has retained much of its Victorian origins.

The museum is open to the public by advanced request. To arrange a visit, please contact us on 01252 322020.

Admission is free but donations to the Anthony Nolan Trust are appreciated.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 -   +